Sunday, February 13, 2011

Camberwell Haul #1


When I can get out of bed on Sunday mornings I bike for an hour or so out to the Camberwell markets which have to be one of the biggest boot/carpark stall markets in Melbourne. I'm on the hunt for interesting old books/comics/magazines and it's rare I leave empty handed. Today I picked up the following:

3 Heavy metal Mags from the 80's (when they were still good) $6

A large bound collection of Dave Berg's Mad cartoons (I've probably read enough Dave Berg for this lifetime or definitely will have after finishing this.) $4

A Rage To Live - 900 page biography of Richard Burton the Brilliant, charismatic scholar, adventurer and translator of Arabian nights and his wife Isabel Burton. My knowledge of Richard Burton stems solely from reading Philip Jose Farmer's Riverworld series which cast this real life man and his wife in a reincarnated sci-fi fantasy setting. The couple depicted in farmer's books were fascinating i imagine their real-life counterparts were too. I bought this for the princely sum of $1.

The first two trades of Astonishing X-men by Joss Whedon and John Cassady, I read and enjoyed these a few years ago from the library and $6 for two books in new condition I couldn't resist.

No comments: