Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Camberwell & Box Hill Haul #4


After a Saturday spent fine-tuning my pushbike I stumbled out of bed last Sunday to get out to the Camberwell market and the formerly Camberwell now in Box Hill Record/Comic Fair. Got to Camberwell, had a quick nose around and picked up 3 annuals Lion 1966, Lion 1967, and The Big Battle Annual for $4 a pop. Old adventure comics from the glory days of English comics. Also an Ayn Rand book I hadn't read, The Virtue of Selfishness, for $4. Then I jumped a train for a few stops to Box Hill.

Box Hill Record/Comic fair was quickly filling up when I got there. I slipped into the Comics room and picked up a few neat things. A couple Johnny Ryan books for $10 each from Mr Daniel Best and I took a punt of an English translation of a European album, Roxanna, for $5 from Mr Philip Bentley.


A bunch of other books I picked up for 40 cents to $2 each.

I'm probably the only person in the world that wants it but if someone started publishing everything Sergio Aragones has done in his prolific career I'd be in for the haul.

I picked up a Hanna Barbera Aussie reprint of Korg: 70,000 B.C in the back of a second hand book shop on Phillip Island last year and found another issue this weekend. These books are great, i think there are two of the original Charlton issues reprinted in each issue beautiful Pat Boyette work and garish recolouring. I'm a sucker for cavemen stories with Sci-Fi elements.

A few random Charlton comics and some funny animal and big foot cartooning books. I've been picking up the odd book of these here and there to pick up some flourishes for my own work.

An X-men annual that I really dug when I was a kid and could actually follow what was going on in these comics.

I liked Howard Chaykin's character Dominic Fortune from the few appearances he made when I was a kid and glad to pick up an issue of his precursor character The Scorpion for a $1.



I probably have a bunch of these already but for $1.50 they'll be good bedside reading/ birthday presents for my Nephews when they are a bit older.



A couple original cartoons by Neil Mcbeath at the Camberwell markets




A french man was selling half a dozen of these colour strips on thick card for about $500 the lot. Not sure of the artist but one of them was signed 'Peter'.



Record and Comic Aficionados at Box Hill



Camberwell Train Station

No comments: