Monday, March 28, 2011

Camberwell Haul #5




Another Sunday trek to Camberwell. Not a huge haul but some interesting things. An old couple had a huge pile of Pictorial Social Studies Comic albums for $2 each. Published in the Fifties and Sixties, these were used as teaching aides for history lessons I presume. Covering a whole lot of Australian history I picked out a couple that were New Zealand centric. Never made it all the way through a Salmon Rushdie book but for a dollar I'll have another try at The Satanic Verses. William Gibson and E. L. Doctorow books were a couple dollars each, I'll add them to the thousands of other novels on the to read list. Maybe I'll get Miss Mai to read them and give me the cliff notes version.

There were comics here and there throughout the markets but I only picked up three for a dollar a piece.

Hot Stuff - I pick up cheap Harvey comics when I can to see what I can glean from them for my own comics.

The Jetsons - A Hanna Barbera Aussie reprint - again for drawing reference and also I've been thinking about doing some more futuristic gags/stories. The Garish re-colouring reminds me of reading these as a kid. I always remember the Superman editions where everyone had very pink skin pallor.

The Funtastic World of Hanna-Barbera TV STARS #1 - Another Hanna Barbera reprint. This one is a great anthology of short strips based on Saturday Morning cartoons. Solid line up of cartoonists with Steve Shaw, Will Meugniot, Dave Stevens, Dan Spiegle, and an Alex Toth Space Ghost story.

Here's The Herculoids by Will Meugniot and Dave Stevens.









GRAAARRR!!


All manner of things turn up at Camberwell


The Corner Billboard

Under an Overpass by Punt Road Bridge

No comments: