Friday, July 8, 2011

Camberwell Haul #10


It was cold and misty last Sunday when I made my way to the Camberwell Markets. Biked around a smashed up television pushed off Punt Rd onto the underpass. It hadn't shattered everywhere just crumpled which I'm sure was a disappointment. Further down the road I spotted a spotted a Helicopter hovering about five metres above the tram tracks on Commercial Road. Alas I forgot my camera.

It was pretty early when I arrived so did a few rounds of the whole market and glad I did cause I found a bunch of these on the second and third time around.

5 English kids annuals for fifty pesos each. 

An Black N White Indie Anthology 'Steel Dragon' for one clam. There was a copy of The Protectors #1 for 1 clam, a really terrible looking black n white book, I didn't buy it but remembered Dash Shaw talking about it here. if you have a look at the link it's worth reading the comments section.

How to Read Donald Duck for five clams - heard about this for many a year, thought it was time to give it a read. 

 A book of George Carlin's, Last Words, for four clams from the local bookhouse. Carlin created an amazing body of work in his lifetime and is one of the people who shaped my beliefs regarding religion. This reminds me I have hours of his stuff I still haven't listened to. No time!


The real find of the morning was an autobiography of Leo Baxendale that I had no idea existed for ten clams.  I read a lot of Baxendale's work when I was a lad and this book recounts forty years of his career as a cartoonist. I've only skimmed through it but was thrilled to find a pic of Ken Reid in there. Ken Reid is one of my all time favourite English cartoonists, I loved his work on Face-ache, Frankie-Stein and others. Baxendale also recounts his friendships with other DC Thomson cartoonists Davey Law and Dudley Watkins.

 

No comments: